We’ve hired a few trades now via Service Seeking and HIPages and I’d have to say that for the most part, it has not been smooth sailing. There always seems to be some issue or error that arises during the job, which then means further cost for us to fix.
After the 3 quote process we went ahead with A1 Concrete Works. Not only were we swayed by their competitive pricing, but their website had a lot of genuine looking photos in the gallery.
The guys arrived on the Thursday nice and early and were straight into it. They set up the formwork, things looked good. We all then waited for the structural engineer to come by to inspect, unfortunately – he was running late, but at least the job was passed. Things were a bit of a domino effect after that…
Because the engineer didn’t arrive when they were supposed to, the concrete couldn’t be poured that day like it was planned. We also had to get additional steel for the small slab we requested on the side of the house. The next day, A1 Concrete Works turned up in the afternoon as did the concrete truck. The pour started well, but all of a sudden the bondek was slowly caving in due to the weight of the concrete. The concreters hadn’t supported the bondek below. As a result there is now a dip on our patio, which has to be patched. We intend to tile on top, but it means extra cost in materials to fix this. I’m also surprised that the engineer hadn’t checked to see if the bondek was supported, but later I found out that the engineer’s job is just to check the steel.
There was some potential to get into an argument over payment and who was at fault, and despite the quality of work, A1 Concrete Works were very reasonable about it. The job was discounted so we can then put up with the cost to fix the problem. The solution now means we will have to use concrete and put the tiles in place, rather than using a tile glue.