We’ve had several quiet weekends now as we’ve been waiting for a quote from our chosen Carpenter. Although we haven’t started on the roof it has been a bit of a headache just planning it out. Some of the main hurdles have been the access to our house, the materials and the requirement that the ridge line of our new roof had to be below the existing roof.
The access to our house and the driveway are both fairly narrow and we have low power lines, so getting any large trucks at our place can be a logistical issue. If we had a lot of money and more space we could consider a crane, but unfortunately we have neither. The only option would be to use man power. Then we have the strutted beams. We had to go back to our Engineers to get our plans amended to have timber beams in place of steel ones, so they have decided that we require 170kg timber beams *gasp*. Nope…we’re not going there…steel beams it is! So now our Carpenter has to consider using steel and how to position the steel in place.
The wait continues till Monday when we are supposed to get the final quote, (hopefully not faint at the sight of the cost) and give the Carpenter the thumbs up.
Our bathroomware has been ordered and ready for delivery, but due to limited space, we have to wait till we get the windows and doors in, then move the bathtub and toilet into the shed. It will be another exciting time when the roof finally goes on though because it means we are getting closer to lock up.
Hooray! Carpenter booked and roof to go up starting this Wednesday!
Here we go again with about 2 weeks of builders on site. The good thing is we’ll have not only the roof frames up, but the roof tiles, new guttering and steel beams. Lets see how it all pans out this time…