Today was a fairly productive day on the house and a good one for Daughter-in-law/Father-in-law time. The in-laws have come to provide us support yet again (am always so grateful!) so today my MIL (Mum in law) babysat the kids while I worked on the house with the DIL (Dad in law).
After deciding I had enough of the mess on site, I went and bought a couple of storage containers to help with the organisation of all the tools. Spending half of the day cleaning up, while DIL used his electric plane to even up some warping stud walls in preparation for the plasterboard. He taught me how he was straightening things up, where to pack and how the gyprock was going to go up. It’s been great to learn and get a better understanding of the building process.
Although I’m not nearly as involved in this part of the build however, cleaning up the site really goes a long way. I was then able to clear way for the gyprock and villa board delivery that arrived this morning. Before we tackled shifting and lifting these 4.2m long boards, we continued with the insulation. My DIL really is a machine, I often leave him be to work on the house and I am left astounded with the progress when I check in, as if I have blinked once and it is done. Most of the insulation has been added including the ensuite wall. Standing inside this room you really feel toasty warm. Handling the stuff you feel super itchy, so wear long sleeves, gloves and a mask. Of course, my DIL manages without the gloves…
When my husband arrived home from work we got started on moving the 30 sheets sitting on our driveway into the house, including walking up 5 flights of stairs and going round an awkward corner. Note to self, villaboard weighs a lot heavier than it looks. We were really lucky too, because our neighbour is always so obliging and was able to give us a hand. So when we got halfway and I could see my 60+ year old DIL absolutely red in the face, it was then that my husband made the decision to get help. 4th person on board and we smashed it. The downside to the boards was that 2 of them were slightly damaged – we believe were poorly handled on delivery, and with them costing about $35-$60 for a single sheet, you want to make sure they are in perfect condition. This will be one thing that Anthony will be rectifying.
Oh and on a side note, pest control was rescheduled for 2 weeks time, will be seeing those darn cockroaches for a little while longer 😦