As we are pushing ourselves to get waterproofing and PCA sign off by the end of this year, we have been working in the evenings to try to complete the plastering of the wet areas by this weekend.
Now that the wet areas and niches have been covered in villaboard, we have been applying the self adhesive tape over the joins and have put on 2 base coats of Gyprock compound so far. We are continuing with the corners and the ceiling joins and though there are still a few more coats to go, which we feel we can manage by this weekend, we have decided to invest in an electric sander.
Plans for this weekend include picking up some cornices. I’ve gone for Gyprock’s standard cove cornice. The cost for the detailed ones seemed a bit too much at about $40 per 4.2m length, the standard is about $11. I felt that if you’re going to go with a decorative cornice, you might as well go the whole hog with a decorative ceiling and a ceiling rose. The wet areas will be modernized, so I didn’t think ornamental cornices would work (cheaper on the pocket too). So we will continue on the joining, sanding and then hopefully finish off 3 more walls in our bedroom.
We aren’t able to completely finish off our bedroom walls because we decided to make a change to the entrance to our bedroom. We are swapping the entrance to be on the left rather than the right. Luckily this is something we can do and we figure it is best to tackle this now rather than later. It will mean having to re-wire the electrical cables to move the switches to the left. By making this change though, it will allow us to keep the walkway to our room clear, add space for a table on the outer wall and some privacy to Anthony’s study nook in the bedroom.
Today we have pest control over as well. The neighbour found termites in their backyard and so to protect our home we organized for termite control as well as added pest control. It seems that Sydney, particularly the inner west is prone to cockroach infestation. I was finding cockroaches around our house on a daily basis. The only good thing about having them was they kept our cat entertained.
Tonight the husband and I are having a break, spending some quality time together before we start tackling the house again over the weekend.
The morning of the start of the weekend was a trip down to the hardware store to buy the cornices and some extra angles for the niches. After we got them into the house we started on sanding and adding some base coats to the plaster walls.
It ended up that we had a lot of issues with sanding back the wet area base coat. This compound is super hard when it dries so we were really surprised how difficult sanding was becoming. When we had applied the wet area base coat to the corners we applied it on too thickly thinking it would shrink. It was a mistake on our part when we tried to sand it down. Luckily we had the electric sander and after a few trials of different sandpaper grits, we found the 80 grit worked the best. Be prepared for the sandpaper to clog up a lot too. To fix our corners, we sanded down the corner coats so they were smooth and all the raised areas flat, then we applied the top coat wider than the base coats and feathered these out. The result is a decent finish! Phew!! Not bad for our first time plastering too!
Unfortunately the sanding has pushed us back from being able to install the cornices this weekend. We really wanted to get these wet areas complete so we could organise the waterproofer to come in this week, but I think I’m going to have to get him in either at the end of this week or the start of next. Things like this always happen, but we would rather have things right than do a dodgy job.