Tiling is certainly not an easy job and if I were to do this again I would be paying someone to do it. It has been another exercise that has been a learning curve and tough seeing that we are working through New Years, while the world is celebrating we are working and sweating it out in 30 degree heat.
Our challenge amongst other challenges has been to have the floors all be at one level, from timber floor through to tile floor. The floors in the wet area were dropped for this purpose.
As we had villaboard and waterproofing put down in the wet areas, we then realised that there was only a certain amount of height left to play with. We had tile falls to factor in for drainage as well as thicknesses of adhesive and the tiles themselves. So in order to have aligned floors, preparation has been really important.
With some online research we found a way to have a thin screed to help us along. Screeding is a process of leveling floors and is also used to create a surface with a fall, which means laying tiles should be easier. We were thinking we could get away with not screeding, but soon realised that the weight of the tile was too much for the adhesive and the layers we would produce would not give us the right height. We purchased some floor leveling compound, these are about $45 per 20kg bag, something we hadn’t budgeted for and there were about 20 bags to be had…Not happy…but we had no choice or end up with a floor to step up and stub your toe on…something we can’t fix later.
We mixed some washed sand with the leveler to stiffen the mix so we could achieve the falls. You can start to walk on the surface after about 5hrs, so working with the stuff means you have to be quick. All 3 rooms are no screened and we are finally…FINALLY laying down the floor tiles for REAL…
Working on the ensuite first and in the shower is where we are currently at.