General

Easter part 2

The bunny arrived last night and early this morning the kids woke up to an egg hunt. We had our fill of hot cross buns and unwrapped a few chocolate eggs before we once again went to work. This time we packed away most things into the shed and stored away some things into the bedroom, preparing for work on the remaining foundations in the middle of the house and the knock down of the internal wall.

We had no real intention to finish off demolishing the old extension walls this long weekend, but as I was on a mission, I decided to take it upon myself to make a start. Anthony’s shoulder has still been sore from his bicycle accident, so I wanted to do as much as I could so he didn’t have to exert too much effort. It was a bit of a challenge, there was a lot of old dirt and debris, which we will have to remove next time, but we are now getting closer and closer to opening the room up.

We have also booked in an excavator to help level the dirt in the backyard. Just hope the guy can get around the corner as this will be the main hurdle for him. We looked at hiring a dingo ourselves but it looks like these will struggle to get round the corner. Once the dirt is level, we’ll finally be able to lay some turf down and also open up more space, as we currently have an old sandpit needing disassembling.

Now that the old laundry is out, the next stage will be to rip up the concrete slab and add some more piers, bearers and joists. Then also open up the wall in the old bathroom, remove the old tub, vanity and toilet. Then we finish off opening up the rest of the wall and start flooring the entire extension. If we can keep working away every weekend, there’s possibility of completing the extension by October/November. In saying this, we are super happy with the progress so far.

Advertisements
Standard
General

Working hard for our Easter eggs

With the long weekend finally here we have taken advantage of the 4 days off to keep working on the house. As much as we would have loved to have taken a break, we  know nothing will change if we don’t do anything.

Friday we got up early and as Anthony cleaned up the pile of “shed items”, I worked on the mound of dirt piled up in the backyard using this to back fill the large  hole left by the plumbers.


I didn’t think we would digging dirt again this year, but at least it has been a lot easier than digging trenches or pier holes. So after a long day of work on a sunny Autumn day, we are now able to walk across the backyard easily and to walk around the patio to once again see the lushness of the bamboos.


Today we had another early start, to fit in our usual grocery shop and also make a stop over at Bunnings to make a few purchases. We bought 2 foldaway clotheslines and Anthony installed them while I did some clean up in the house to make way for the demolition of the old laundry wall. Once he finished there, we got to washing a few loads to try the new lines out. We’re really happy with how we have utilized this space on the side of the house. 

We then made a start on removing the old walls. A mixture of removing old nails, screws and sawing off some of the Timber was required. This has been our first real taste of how much space we have in our family room area.  Things are really progressing now and it’s pretty exciting. There’s still so much to do, but there’s a larger sense of accomplishment now every time I open up those sliding door and see the family room and the patio. It’s going to be a lovely space when it’s complete. There is still another portion of the wall to go, which we hope to tackle over the next few days. Our hired 4 tonne skip bin is already full, so we will be trying hard to fit as much in as possible. At this stage we are looking at mid May to try to remove the old concrete slab and open up even more of the wall.

Long weekend to be continued…

Standard
General

Shed complete and others not so…

It’s been a while since I’ve posted but we have been doing some small changes here and there every weekend. Sometimes the wet weather has prevented us from doing any further work to the shed and other times we have just been, well, lazy. Life outside of the renovations has been busy for us and there are times where we struggle to juggle it all. We have made some progress though and now have privacy locks on our sliding doors, handles on some of our laundry cabinets and finished off the shed.


We had some intial issues with the roller door on our shed, the curtain actually unwound and we had to ask our neighbour to give us a hand to wind it back. Garage curtains are scary things and can be quite dangerous to work with as they are really heavy, if not fitted correctly the curtain can drop down fast. Thankfully we didn’t have problems with the spring as I read this part of the door can cause serious injury if tension isn’t right. So the shed is now complete, gutters and all, which means we can start storing things away.

The next job is to finish off some spray painting of the remaining doors AND THEN we can move things into the shed. My husband tells me that we would be looking at knocking some internal walls down during the Easter break.

Standard