With the mounds of dirt that were taken away a few weeks ago, we were able to make a start on digging the holes for the remaining piers. Anthony measured the 450×450 squares, which instructed by our structural plans, were to be no further than 1800mm apart. In total we were looking at 11 holes to dig. 7 under the family room and 4 in the old bathroom.
In digging the holes out, sometimes you might find yourself some historical treasures. We found some old piping, but interestingly found some old hand shears, a rusted out cast iron pot, probably used to boil water over a campfire and a green heart shaped glass gem, possibly a piece of jewellery.
The engineer told us that we had to have reo in the holes, so off we went to Bunnings to get some heavy duty mesh. Anthony got the angle grinder out, cut 11 squares and we spent some time in the evening, fitting them into the holes. The engineer came to site the next morning and thankfully gave us the stamp of approval! Happy days!
This Saturday we received our order of blue stone, sand and cement and worked extra hard to mix up the 1:3:5. While I worked on the mix, Anthony would collect the concrete and pour them into each hole. On average we were looking at 6 x 20L buckets of concrete per hole. So as you can imagine it took us the whole day.
I will really be happy to not work on the mixer again, shoveling materials into it, but we have a brick fence still to do, so it looks like the mixer will have to stay till then.
Now we have done the pier pads, we need to wait for the concrete to cure and arrange to get more bricks and more sand to build up the piers. We have estimated 10 courses of bricks, so roughly 250 bricks needed. Anthony’s Dad has a pile of bricks on his farm, which were thinking of using. Since we realise our budget is getting tighter and tighter, it might be worth taking them rather than spending anymore.
We’re inching closer to knocking the walls down now.