Now that the concrete is set, we ordered in 250 extruded common bricks and some yellow brick sand to build up the 11 piers required to support the bearers and joists. We ordered the materials from MBS this time and came under budget which was good, especially since there are a lot more expenses to go. Saturday we had visitors over, so the only time we had on the house was to receive the brick and sand delivery. This Sunday was a better day to start on the brick piers, but before Anthony did, it was noted yesterday that the brick wall holding up the lengthy steel beam had a bulge. The bulge was minor and believed to be pre-existing, but it didn’t sit comfortably with us, so we decided to get some advice and were told to place some acrow props under the beam temporarily, while we fix the brick wall and secure it. With this news I was worried that we were up for not only a huge cost, but also further delay to our already tight schedule. But it looks like we need to get a c channel and that should be enough to secure the wall and prevent it from splaying even further away from the other wall. In the mean time, Anthony has got the acrow props in and has finished 4 brick piers so far. It looks like a job that will need to be completed through the week. We have allocated another weekend for it, but then after this we need to get antcapping installed by a licensed trade, then we can get the bearers and joists on the weekend after.
If we are on schedule with the piers and floor structure, then we are looking at knocking walls down during the week of Anthony’s birthday, so early August. As Anthony has said, when the walls are down, it will feel like we are on the home stretch. I know there will still be a lot more work to do after the kitchen is in, but we should at least be moving ourselves to the back of the house by the end of this year if all goes to plan.