Home related work has really slowed down now as we are on the finishing end of our renovation. One of the final jobs for us to do was to complete our patio by adding the balustrades and handrails.
After a few trips to Bunnings, we bought a collection of suages, wire, turnbuckles, eyelets, lag screws, post anchors and of course the timber posts and timber handrail. We were able to borrow some tools from our good builder friend, who also gave us tips on how to best work with the wire. Because our patio is over 1 metre tall, building code requires us to meet certain balustrading regulations, so the wire needs to be a certain thickness, posts need to be spaced at a maximum and gaps between wires also have a maximum. Online research allowed us to determine what all these numbers are and once we knew that we went ahead with putting the posts in place.
The following day, Anthony measured and marked all the points for where the wire would go. This was a bit of a tedious process, but a necessary one, otherwise it would be really obvious if not done correctly.
We could then begin stringing in the wire, screwing in the eyelets and creating the tension needed between posts. As Anthony has been sailing for as long as he can remember, he was knowledgeable in working with wire cables and suaging and this was all natural to him. We finished things off by painting the timber in Colorbond’s surfmist, a contrasting off white to all that grey. The end result looks great and I was eager to dress up the patio with hanging planter boxes of herbs and yellow pansies, even our cat Heston got himself a new bed. It’s been lovely sitting out there on the patio with a hot cup of tea admiring it all.